Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wow, it's been awhile since I posted here. First I got bored of blogging about walking, and then I got bored of walking. Now I'm no longer satisfied to sit most of the time, and not be moving! A few months ago I came across an article about walking while working, and investigated that a bit. I mentioned it to Debs, who recommended Brain Rules, which I ordered from the library and read. The author, Dr. John Medina, discusses the research which indicates that since we evolved while walking, our brains and bodies work the best if we are moving most of the time. For more on that, see http://www.brainrules.net/.

So I've ordered a treadmill. I looked on Craigslist, but gosh there are a lot of them, and it seemed easier to just buy one new and have the guarantee in place. Plus, delivery and setup! I'm anxiously awaiting the email from Costco with a delivery day. Just can't wait! I ordered the XTerra TR6.55. Come quickly! Supposedly shipped by truck from Arkansas on the 5th.....
In the meantime, I've been investigating the desk part of the deal. Office-Walkers is the site where all the photos and research are, so I joined up. So far, what I like best is below:

By Karen Lopez, found here: http://officewalkers.ning.com/photo/designed-and-made-this-myself. I was thinking that could be clear too, if the Plexiglass wasn't too expensive.

So I'll be storing my thoughts here until I can actually get walking again. I hope to get up to 8 to 10 hours per day, at 1 or 2 miles per hour. That could be like 70 miles per week! Of course I'll have to work up to it again. Eventually, I'd like to add in some workouts with faster walking and even running, to get the heart and lungs involved too. Being in good enough shape to just run up to the library and back would be GREAT!

No comments: