Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thoughts about lifting, and health in general

Browsing Joyce Vedral's book Definition I notice again that she advises either one whole-body session three days a week, or six days alternating workouts. The only exception is abs, which she says can be done all six days. But never seven.

I don't think this is for religious reasons, but practical. In general, when I was using the book before, I did skip about one workout per week, just because life is full. And I notice that each week, in general there is one low day. Perhaps instead of freaking out about it, I should just give myself a pass occasionally. Bob never does, but that's him. He has a definite big goal in mind, while I'm trying to build life-long habits.

I really do want to run and lift the rest of my life, and stay active and healthy as long as I can. Seeing my dad and the rest of the residents in his nursing home keep me going now. When he's gone, I hope I can keep it up. Even though he seems content, I know he isn't happy. I want to live a happy life, for the most part. And happiness for me involves health and strength, along with love and friendship and all those other good things.

Of course I'd like to be normal weight again. However, I'm willing to continue to run, and lift, even if I never get down to 125 pounds again. Health, strength and fun are good enough. This is why I'm trying to add in time and speed slowly, so I don't get hurt. The same with lifting; I'll start with the 3 lowest weights again, and work up as she advises.

My worry is the traveling. I was working out before going to Estonia, and never got going again after returning home. I'm hoping that the running and lifting this time will have me in better shape, so I can hop back on the schedule. But it is two trips within a month of one another. Worrying doesn't help, but I still feel apprehensive. Perhaps admitting it in public will help me stay on track this time. Jet-lag sucks!

No comments: